quinta-feira, 2 de junho de 2011

Run, this place in on fire

I've been living in England for the past few months and there are a lot of things that intrigue me. I know this is normal when you come from a different culture, I know that human beings always compare their lives with the ones from other human beings and the grass is always greener on the other side...
However, there are still things that intrigue me anyway. Culture apart, lets talk about how weird is the obsessiveness of English people with fire alarms. The second night I was sleeping in this country the fire alarm of my building went off at 3 in the morning. By the way, it was not a fire. I woke up so lost and disorientated walked out of the building out of the fire exit, went down the stairs and completely forgot it was winter. It takes about a life time to wait for the fire fighters to check every room in a big building, and of course, as a matter of security we need to wait outside. No problem with that, the fire fighters are probably the professionals that I respect the most. What I do not respect is the kind of sensitiveness of the fire alarms in britain. My god, those things go off with steam of showers, hair dryers, hair spray, deodorant...I actually think that they could go off with a sneeze, or a blink...
Do you know that story that when you do something so many times, people start believing that lie? That's what is going to happen do britain. Someone is going to get burned. I arrived in january and probably the fire alarm in my building has gone off about 10 times. And there was one time that it was a drill. There was one time I was literally IN the shower, washing my hair and the thing started going and oh great, now I have to get out of the shower, put some clothes on and out of the building and all of that in three minutes because that's a security measure. Try to tell people that fires are dangerous, and if something is burning just get out of the building as quick as you can, just do it, say that in three minutes. I just did and it was way easier than doing drills and making fire alarms that can sense your thoughts!
That curse chased me so hard that when I was in Ireland the thing went of with the steam of my shower and I wasn't even in my room in England! My god! The fire alarms are such ninjas that they turn you into one. I sleep with my coat and shoes close to my bed, I open and close the bathroom door so that the steam doesn't set it off so quickly that you wouldn't believe your eyes. Be aware, if you are ever in England you won't get burned but you will get annoyed and develop the most unusual skills. When you hear the sound, you will know, just...run.
After this crazy obsession to understand why they are so concerned with fires I was at the office today working and as usual I checked my emails and there it was, an email to all employees saying that tomorrow they are going to be testing the fire alarm starting from 8.30 am and that it will last for a few hours. They were recommending all the people in the office to ignore the fire alarm and don't evacuate the building. Decision much? Go figure.  

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário